Wednesday, May 30, 2012

End of May 2012


I haven't been doing much painting, because I have been getting my vegetable garden planted and cleaning up my yard.  Oh my aching back.  I am going to do the finishing touches on the painting I started a few weeks ago of the St. Michael's hotel in downtown Prescott, AZ and taking it into the Arts Prescott Gallery on Saturday. It will be posted on my website (www.LinneThomasArt.com) next week.


My dogs, Bessie (in front) and Baxter enjoy the garden too.  I built boxes last year in an attempt to avoid bending over as much as possible.  It works until you need to stir up the soil and add fresh manure etc and that required emptying out the boxes and sifting the soil, replacing the newly refreshed soil back in the boxes. Oh my aching back!

When I lived in Chicago, I had a fabulous vegetable garden and yard --- there something about actual soil ( not dirt) and rain that makes a garden grow.  The first gardening tool I bought 23 years ago when I moved to Prescott was a pick axe --- that should say it all!

It's been a typical Prescott spring, high winds, cold temperatures one week, hot the next and NO rain at all.  It froze one night this past weekend and I lost plants and had to replace them.  I have been doing lots of watering. Now it's all in and I look forward to eating beans, tomatoes covered with fresh basil, lemon cukes and zuccini later this summer.  I also like to do paintings of produce and take pictures of the praying mantis on patrol on my plants.  Life is good.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment